RE: Towards DASL fulltextsearch query

I assume that "contains" is going to be explicitly
called out as a "pass through" operator for DASL 1.0.
Then, "contains" would support any of the engines
you mentioned to the extent that a string can
be mapped into their API. My guess is that for
those systems that can take a document as
a query, this is a particularly straightforward
mapping. Some engines can directly accept
a string with embedded syntax that can specify
stemming, proximity, case sensitivity, soundex, and
Boolean combinations of conditions. Of course,
"contains" wouldn't be interoperable, because
we haven't provided a way to advertise what
the string syntax and semantics are.

Having had the advantage of working on
this problem in other contexts, I think
that what the "second grammar" would consist
of would be simplesearch version 2. That would be
the same as simplesearch version 1 with
additional optional content search
operators, some score type properties
(STARTS has normalized and raw score properties,
for example), and some constraints advertised
in the QSD on the overall form of the where element.
We could also optionally define one or more
hit highlighting property formats, but that's
a bigger rathole than the rest of it combined.

The existing AND, OR, and NOT operators
could be used to advantage for Boolean
combinations by some collections, and some degree
of AND and OR can be embedded in the operator's
operands as well. (For example, STARTS has an
operator with a list of words as one
operand, and another operand that says
whether all or some of the words must
be in the document. This is essentially
equivalent to AND or OR.)

We could define any number of generalized
and/or engine specific full text search
operators, and accommodate any number of engines.
The QSD would, of course, advertise what
operators are available for a particular
collection. The only significant downside to
inventing optional operators is the time it takes.
Of course, the only operators really useful
for interoperability would be the generalized
ones, and these would capture only least common
denominator functionality. We should start
there. In fact, we should probably start with STARTS.
I'm not saying when we should start on this.

Alan Babich