RE: Issue: Are structure queries needed?

I very much agree with your approach. In fact, I
believe we should extend it to the resourcetype property
as well.
(1) DASL is not the proper forum to attempt to
standardize queries on XML valued properties or even
on structure valued properties.
(2) If DASL standardized query on XML valued properties,
implementations of that would have to make special
cases for each such WebDAV property (e.g., resourcetype
and lockdiscovery), because these are undoubtedly
not stored as XML values. That is very tacky at best.
(3) I agree with all of your stated reasons.

The test for resource type could be a query operator
that returned a Boolean value, and had one operand:

TestResourceTypeordinary resource/TestResourceType
TestResourceTypecollection/TestResourceType
TestResourceTypeindirect resource/TestResourceType

for example. (I'm not making a serious proposal about
the spelling of any of the above identifiers. I would
accept nearly any reasonable spelling.)

Alan Babich