origins of the famous dead

At 11:18 AM 7/21/98 PDT, Babich, Alan wrote:
>... The WebDAV
>spec. defines live and dead properties in section
>3.1, but if the spec. defines obscure and famous dead
>properties, I managed to overlook that (sorry).

The term was first used in my email message of
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:19:58 PDT, see

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webdav-dasl/1998JulSep/0026.html

It is in neither WebDAV nor DASL specs, nor should it be.  It's only useful
for discussing scenarios and implementations.  In no way should the
protocol make use of this distinction.

Alan's definition of famous as "in the DMS schema" seems correct to me, for
those implementations of DASL that use a DMS.  Note that oher applications
of DASL might not use a DMS underneath.  The way a dead property becomes
famous is by having the server know enough about it to index it, which
seems pretty similar to  being in the schema.