RE: Why DASL need not be DAV-specific

Since I don't post all that often to this group, being mostly a lurker, I
thought I would introduce myself before making any comments. My name is
Yaron Y. Goland and I am one of the authors on the DAV protocol spec as well
as the one who originally, way back when, suggested forming this working
group. Unfortunately I missed the second DASL BOF (held at Xerox) due to
illness. But be sure you will see me at all future meetings.

The reason why this working group was formed was to solve search for DAV.
That is the limit of its mandate. The reason why we formed a separate
working group rather than just doing this work within the DAV working group
was largely for procedural reasons. The DAV working group has its hands full
looking at a slate of problems including: Distributed Authoring, Access
Controls, Variants, and Versioning.

Thus a consensus grew that if we added search we would just overload the
working group, forcing it to pay attention to too many issues
simultaneously.

As such the consensus was that the most reasonable course of action was to
form a separate working group, with a separate chair, mailing list, etc.
That way we could be sure the search issues got their due attention.

However to focus people on the new working group's purpose and to ensure
that they did not misunderstand its mandate we named it "DASL" for DAV
Searching and Locating. We felt that by putting the word DAV in the title
and stating explicitly in the charter that this working group was to provide
DAV search we would make it clear to everyone that this working group's
purpose was to provide search facilities for DAV. More to the point, to
provide search facilities which make optimal use of the DAV object model,
repository model, variant model, access control model, and versioning model.

Universal Search is a laudable goal but one that will require compromises we
are not willing to make. Implementers of DAV repositories require a search
mechanism that makes optimal use of their repositories. If some day someone
creates a universal search mechanism I'm sure everyone will happily look
into providing its interfaces on top of DAV's.  However the explicit goal of
this working group is to define the absolutely best search mechanism for
DAV.

			Yaron