RE: nothing on the spec to clear dtmf buffer ?

Yeah, on our platform there is an extension property that controls how far back in time you should look in the dtmf buffer.  If you set it to 0 you get no buffer, but you can also control should you look back just 2 seconds or more like 20 depending on application state.

>From a VXML specification point of view, I think the common case the specification is correctly addressing is that dtmf keys should bargein to the next bargeable prompt as the usual case is that the non-bargeable prompt is a legal message or an ad and a power user knows the first few keys they want to press to navigate the call tree.  In the case that you want to prevent them from doing this (like you changed your menus) you can make the new warning prompt non-bargeable as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: www-voice-request@w3.org [mailto:www-voice-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Michael Glover
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:18 AM
To: www-voice@w3.org
Subject: Re: nothing on the spec to clear dtmf buffer ?

I agree. It seems like a simple thing that should be easy to do.

Perhaps the spirit of the specification expects that if you didn't want to interrupt the form with previous digits, you would play one of those non-bargeable "please listen to the menu, as our options have recently changed" prompts that we all love to hear.

My personal opinion of the best way to do it would be with a <property> specified within the specification. Something like "cleardtmfbuffer".
Perhaps in VXML 3.0 something like this will be available.

Michael Glover
Software Engineer
Interact, Inc.