RE: [scxml] newbie questions on Executable Content

Troy,
  The definition of executable content is intended to allow any
language, whether XML-based or not.  The important caveat is that EC
should execute quickly since the state machine blocks during the
execution of such content.

The SCXML spec specifies a base set of executable content that all
etc., but implementations are allowed to provide extensions.  Of course,
application authors who restrict themselves to the base set are
guaranteed portability across SCXML implementations, while those who use
extensions are not.

The examples in Section F should all be from the base set that is
defined in the body of the spec.  (That base set will be restricted
somewhat in the next draft, however.)  The EC in example C is ECMAScript
and is just there as an example.

The examples with <ccxml:accept> are intended to show another way of
extending the language, since we show how they can be translated into
core SCXML <send>. (They are thus syntactic sugar rather than an actual
extension of functionality.)

The cond value of an <if> (and of the 'cond' attributes of events) must
support ECMAScript, though platforms could, in principle, offer
extensions there as well.

We hope to have the next draft out in November, but are still working on
some fairly substantial issues.

- Jim