Re: SCXML Extensions for graphical description

Hello guys,

I identify two scenarios here:
1)You are using a vendor specific graphic tool for
UML.

You have XMI and more specifically EMX which is
Rational propietary modeler xml language (XMI version
in any case). You have as another example VDX from
Microsoft Visio.

Both of the above describe graphics while still they
are xml.

SCXML is a language to describe Harel State Machines
which are specified as part of UML2 as Gilman is
suggesting. XMI can be used to represent UML so the
only thing you need to do is create the necessary
stylesheet (XSLT) to convert from scxml to specific
XMI that can later be rendered by specific graphic
tools. Another stylesheet should be specified for the
reverse process because there are times in which you
want to go from graphics to scxml as well as the other
way around having that way complete round trip forward
and reverse angineering.

2)You want or would like w3c to specify a graphical
language for UML.

If w3c decides to put presentation and data all
together it will be great because being of public
domain plugins for eclipse will appear quick enough in
the market.

However there are some vendor standards that are like
EMX from Rational and there are a lot of people
working with Rational so another approach is just to
write specific stylesheets as I said.

Thanks!