Re: Questions about CCXML and CCXML interpreter

Jay,

well, one of the most driving forces behind my work was:
my C++ know how is quite "rusty" :-).  (I used to work with
C since about '82, with C++ since '89 but I stopped
programming with C++ in '95/'96). Also I was interested
to have a simple and easy protable software to various systems.

Well, I didn't do any real stress test with the stuff. I only use
a small network simulator just now. If my time permits I'll
try to connect to some sort of JAIN interface, JAIN-SIP maybe.

During the rebase I figured out that many things are much easier
in Java than in C++. Somtimes because the String handling is easier,
somtimes because Java has a real "root Object" that allows
to use queues, map etc quite easily. The code size is much smaller
(measured in lines of code). Also the supporting libraries are
quite robust, easy to get, often in binary format (independent of
the underlying system). For example, I use the Mozilla Rhino
implementation for ECMA script - even without any prior
knowledge of Rhino embedding it was a matter of just hours
to have to first embedding up and running. Similar for the
XML interfaces (SAX2, Xerces)

Also the built-in threads simplify handling quite a lot. The code is
much cleaner I believe, thus easier to read and to maintain. Because
of its base (the C++ implementation) some things a not yet really
"Java alike" and the is some more room for simpler coding and
to streamline

Due to my experience with C, C++, and Java it's much simpler
to bring a Java implementation to a new system then C/C++ based
implementations (except for "Hello, world" :-)  ). I personally
had quite some trouble to bring up the C++ implementation
of the CCXML interpreter.

Regards,
Werner