RE: SSML, further comments

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your comments.

As discussed with you on the WAI-PF telecon of 17 September
(see http://www.w3.org/2003/09/17-pf-irc), here is our response to
your comments:

>>> We believe there is a misunderstanding that is simple to correct.
>>> There is already an ability in the specification to adjust
>>> pronunciation both internally via the phoneme element and
>>> externally via a lexicon.  We agree there are times when one needs
>>> a lexicon.  By placing better pronunciations for words in an
>>> external lexicon, the processor will automatically use the values
>>> in the lexicon over its own defaults without any additional markup
>>> (except for the single use of the <lexicon> element at the top of the
>>> document that points to the lexicon definition file).
>>> We also agree that the specification wording you quote unintentionally
>>> implies a claim about the quality of today's synthesis technology.
>>> To correct this, we will change "are expert at performing" to
>>> "are designed to perform".

If you believe we have not adequately addressed your request,
please let us know as soon as possible.  If we do not hear
from you within 7 days, we will take this as tacit acceptance.

Again, thank you for your input.

-- Dan Burnett
Synthesis Team Leader, VBWG