  From: Al Gilman
  To: 'Ildar Gabdulline'
  Cc: www-voice@w3.org
  Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 9:22 AM
  Subject: RE: VoiceXML vs SALT

  >From: Ildar Gabdulline [mailto:ildar@realeastnetworks.com]

  >Could you please describe me - what are the differences between VoiceXML
  >and SALT ?
  >As I understood for the moment both of them are used for the same purposes
  >- programming of the dialogs.
  >Please clarify the situation, if it is possible.

  As Chris Royles almost said, it's simple.  VoiceXML is about designing
  dialogs, and SALT is not.

  SALT is about providing multi-modal richness to media events (display or
  input transactions) within Web dialogs.  It doesn't address the flow of a
  dialog, just the modal binding of one transaction at a time.  The dialog, to
  the extent that it is captured in any Web consensus format, is in SMIL or
  XForms or what have you.

  SALT and VoiceXML are two design points in the broad spectrum of multimodal
  interaction environments, or as the Device Independence community would term
  them, 'delivery contexts.'

  For the work that is going forward to create a continuum of capability
  subsuming the currently existing islands of capability, see the website
  of the W3C Multimodal Interaction activity

  http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi

  ... and in particular the presentations in Session 2 of the last W3C
  Technical Plenary.

  [Find "Anywhere" in:]
    http://www.w3.org/2003/03/TechPlenAgenda.html

  For past discussion on this question: