From: Emmett (ejTalk) [mailto:emmett@ejtalk.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 10:04 AM
To: Jim A. Larson
Cc: Deborah Dahl
Subject: we met at SpeechTEK

Hello Jim,

Nice to meet you at SpeechTEK (at the MSTA booth).

I wanted to remind you of the missing functionality in VoiceXML that we
talked (I ranted?) about.

<emmett_rant>

VoiceXML does not allow for a simultaneous record AND reco event. This
is one of the MOST important kinds of information for the developer to
collect. Every book, article and seminar about tuning and usability
drones on about how hopeless it is to do spiral development without it.

Issues:

1. Of course this can be done outside the VoiceXML interpreter if you
own the platform and can write to the specific ASR system. Not possible
for mere users of a vsp.

2. The target audience of small implementers can't compete with the vsp.

3. Very powerful, intuitive and (partially) automated tools could be
used by the smallest of developers to do serious tuning of applications.
(ejTalk has a tool-centric point of view)

4. It may put a burden on the vsp to slog all that audio around, so it
would be reasonable to have a multi-tier rate structure. Charging a
little more when the "save_audio" feature is on would be understandable.

5. This feature may even spur a new sub-industry. There would be enough
demand for utterance transcription (the missing piece that MUST be done
by a human -- or better yet a linguist) that audio could be routed
through a bureau that would add the transcription/annotation that would
then slide directly into a grammar/dialog tool and provide great
potential for refining the user experience. (I have many ideas about
such tools.)

</emmett_rant>

If there are any folks that want to talk further about this then don' t
hesitate to pass this note and my name along. Or, if there is room in
the organization for another person full of ideas then I'd like to help.

Hope to talk again soon,

Emmett

Emmett J. Coin

Industrial Poet, ej Talk www.ejTalk.com <http://www.ejtalk.com/>

"The Allure and Power of Talking with the Machine"