From: Teemu Tingander [mailto:Teemu.Tingander@tecnomen.fi]
Sent: 15 November 2001 14:00
To: 'www-voice@w3.org'
Subject: Prompt counting question

Hi. While reading spec 2.0 I found following "problem".
	--> Taken form W3C VoiceXML 2.0 draft
	in chapter 4.1.6
	"Each form item and each menu has an internal prompt counter
that is
reset to one each time the form or menu is entered. Whenever the system
uses
a prompt, its associated prompt counter is incremented. This is the
mechanism supporting tapered prompts."
So the question is :
Are prompt counts maintained for <form/> and <menu/> elements only or
are
they maintainded for each <*form item*> - specified in chapter 2.1.2  ?

>>>Prompt counters are maintained for <form>, <menu> and for each form
item.

 If we are working like in events; Counters are reseted when entering
<form/> or <menu/>  and we have individual counter for each <*form
item*> ,
but initial uses <form/>s counters. This is right?

>>>Correct. Counters are reset when the form is (re)entered. Prompt
counters are also maintained for the <initial> item (not a field item);
this will be clarified in the next >version of the specification.

So does this mean that when  <goto item="this" /> occurs in field "that"
while field "this" has prompt counter 3 the prompt that has count 3 is
selected. So entering <field name="this">..</field> does not reset
counter.
So returning to  <*form item*> that has prompted something before
maintains
<*form item*>s prompt count and allows us to do "tapared prompting",
yeah ?

>>>The behavior differs depending on whether you use <goto next="item">
or <goto nextitem="item">. With the "next" usage, you are re-entering
the form so all counters are reset. With the "nextitem" usage, prompt
counters are not reset (see section 2.1.5.1).

Sincerely,
	Teemu Tingander
	Espoo, Finland