RE: how to convert telephone voice to text

I should mention that Compaq developed a fuzzy indexing system which could
retrieve sound-alike matches in voice files.  JB

-----Original Message-----
From: www-voice-request@w3.org [mailto:www-voice-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of James Salsman
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 2:13 PM
To: www-voice@w3.org
Cc: sanjejpi@cse.mrt.ac.lk
Subject: Re: how to convert telephone voice to text

Dave Raggett wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Iroshan Sanjeewa wrote:
>
>> I'm doing a project which takes a voice from a telephone and
>> then convert it to text and store on a database in linux
>> flatform. If you know how to convert telephone voice to text
>> please tell me. Thanks.
>>
>> shan
>
> Telephone voice quality isn't good enough for dictation with
> the current generation of speech recognizers....

That is not entirely true.  Even with very high quality audio,
transcription from automatic speech recognition must be carefully
proofread, and there is no efficient audio-only interface for
doing so that has yet been devised.

For example, Speech Machines Corporation:
  http://www.cybertranscriber.com/
has been going over-the phone transcription services, based on
and ASR first-pass with a human proofreader pool, for years.

The best ASR dictation solution for Linux is presently ViaVoice --
  http://www-3.ibm.com/software/speech/linux/dictation.html
-- from IBM, though it is closed-source and has a limited API (for
example, it can't return the endpoints of recognized words and
the endpoints of their phonemes -- a deficiency shared by
VoiceXML 2.0.)  Open source speech recognition systems which are
more capable, but require speaker-dependent language model
training and adaptation for good dictation results, are Entropic
HTK and CMU Sphinx:
  http://htk.eng.cam.ac.uk/
  http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/

Best wishes,