Re: [Moderator Action] how to convert telephone voice to text

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Iroshan Sanjeewa wrote:

> I'm doing a project which takes a voice from a telephone and
> then convert it to text and store on a database in linux
> flatform. If you know how to convert telephone voice to text
> please tell me. Thanks.
>
> shan

Telephone voice quality isn't good enough for dictation with
the current generation of speech recognizers. Restricting
the vocabulary and grammar makes it possible to get very
good results. I recommend you get some practical experience
with the free developer services offered by several VoiceXML
companies. These let you test out you VoiceXML applications
downloading the VoiceXML and related files from your own
Web server.

Regards,

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> or <dave.raggett@openwave.com>
W3C Visiting Fellow, see http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
tel/fax: +44 122 586-6240 (or 7351) +44 771 213 7629 (mobile)