RE: Barge-in types in VoiceXML

Speech and "noise" (or DTMF) signals may well have the same energy,
but they can be discriminated by looking at the energy distribution
in different frequency subbands;
a speech signal has its own characteristic energy distribution.

The last barge-in category (recognition) would be to let the recogniser
make
the decision whether or not a word has been spoken.
In principle this allows a more informed decision to be made,
but unfortunately not without a certain delay...often the bargin
decision will arrive "too late", and the system appear to the user to be
sluggish.

Cheers
Jesper