RE: page validation problem

Simple fix. Simply remove all of this mess from the top of your code:

And replace it with this:

<!DOCTYPE html>

Then, in your head, remove this:

And replace it with this:

You should also remove the HTML comment containers from your style block (the opening and trailing <!-- and -->). If your intent is to comment out your style (rendering it ineffective), CSS comments are put between /* and */. You also can change your <style type="text/css"> to a simple <style> tag. There is no reason for you to be trying to build this page in xhtml that I can see. HTML5 will be much easier for you. A good beginner book to help you would be HTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide by Elizabeth Castro & Bruce Hyslop.

Regards,

Jules D. O’Guin