Re: validation error

On 8 Oct 2019, at 16:19, Dennis R. Ling wrote:

> When I add this to the text-input area you suggested I get the
> language warning and 2 errors
>
> 1.
>
>    *Warning*: Consider adding a |lang| attribute to the |html| start
>    tag to declare the language of this document.

… for example, if you are writing in English.

In the original email you said:

… but support for `lang` is better than for `xml:lang`.

> 2.
>
>    *Error*: Almost standards mode doctype. Expected |<!DOCTYPE html>|.

The Doctype you are using is for XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

* XHTML is rarely useful (most documents are treated as plain HTML).
* The "Transitional" indicates that it is designed to support old
presentational markup while we transition to CSS. Browsers have had
excellent support for CSS for over a decade so there's no need for that
any more.

Use `<!DOCTYPE html>` as the message recommends.

>    *Error*: Element |head|
>    <https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/#the-head-element> is
>    missing a required instance of child element |title|.

As it says, you need a title.

     <head>
         <title>This will appear in browser tabs, is the default name
for a bookmark, and has a few other uses</title>