Re: why are webmasters so brain-dead today?

On 22/09/2017 23:03, Eric Richards wrote:
> (1)
> This new website https://www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/ works great if
> one is at a computer
>
> But on my 320*192 pixel cell phone it is next to useless
Hardly surprising -- I for one would be hard put to to create a
worthwhile and visually pleasing web site that could render successfully
on such a ridiculously small display.

> I just put the same URL into w2c validator and got a massive 299
> Errors, 49 warning(s)
> https://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0
That, on the other hand, is indeed a cause for concern.

> But having said that, it could be as I have found, fix one error up
> and most of the other errors &/or warnings could disappear.
>
> (2)
> Using the same cell phone there are too many websites that make a
> complaint that my browser is too old and I am using the newest
> browser, I thought that was what W3C was all about so you could go to
> any website with any browser and it would world
Since the W3C is empowered to /set/ but not /police/ standards, such
expectations are totally unreasonable.

> (3)
> We still have too many websites eating up too much expensive mobile
> data, almost making cell phone use on the internet useless unless you
> have a money tree growing nearby.
So don't use a cell 'phone in the Internet; I never have, and have no
intentions of ever so doing.

Philip Taylor