Re: HTML 5 conformance: table border obsolete?

On 06-02-14 13:53, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2014-02-06 12:09, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
>
>  > Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@målform.no>, 2014-02-06 03:10 +0100:
> [...]
>>> Mike, you are not answering the question.
>>
>> You're right, sorry.
>
> Mike, you are still not answering the question.
>
>> As I understand it, you're probably suggesting I should try to answer the
>> question of why, in the particular document that the OP cited, using
>> legacy
>> table@border=1 markup for presentational purposes is a better choice
>
> Whatever Leif may have suggested (and I don’t think he suggested that),
> the original question was:
>
> “Is this a validator bug?”
>
>>> The answer is that @border is conforming in HTML5 and that the validator
>>> has a bug if it does not allow it. There was a change proposal
>>> process to
>>> have @border added back into the spec, and the CP prevailed.
>>
>> OK, understood. As far as that goes, could you please take a minute to
>> file
>> a bug report?
>
> I don’t get it. It seems that the validators http://validator.w3.org and
> http://validator.w3.org/nu/ were recently changed to report the border
> attribute as an error, against the draft specifications and against what
> http://www.validator.nu does. Instead of fixing this bug, you’re
> suggesting opening a bug report and, as per your later comment, to
> continue the discussion there.
>
> What is there to be discussed? Either you fix the bug, or you don’t. I
> don’t think there is anything to be discussed, as the draft
> specifications are so clear. What the specifications should say is a
> different issue
>
> And I suppose the original poster deserves a simple answer to the simple
> question (and to the natural followup question “when will it be fixed?”).

I woud be very grateful if it could be fixed soon. We are going to REC
with 8 docuemtns from different editors, where many use this feature.
The Webmaster will complan if the this "bug" pops up.

Thanks for the quick responses,
Guus

PS I personally don't like the border thing either, but as chair I have
a different role.