Re: Attribute srcset not allowed on element img at this point.

>there are no browsers that support it yet

Per the change log that added this to MediaWiki:

"Confirmed basic images and thumbs in wikitext appear to work in Safari 6,
Chrome 21, Firefox 18 nightly on MacBook Pro Retina display, and IE 10 in
Windows 8 at 150% zoom, 200% zoom, and 140% and 180%-ratio Metro tablet
sizes."

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/24115/

--Ed