Re: Html5 validator bug

16.10.2011 22:46, Kristjan wrote:

> Im using HTML5 doctype

There is no HTML5 document type definition, and the <!doctype html>
declaration recommended in HTML5 drafts is there just to make browsers
go to standards (and not quirks) mode and to inform interested software
about the intent of using HTML in the HTML5 way.

> 1. Bad value rectangle for attribute shape on element area.
> 2. Bad value polygon for attribute shape on element area

The validator simply checks against the HTML5 draft, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-map-element.html#attr-area-shape

> Illogical fixes
> ==========================
> 1) Changing shape="rectangle" to shape="rect"
> 2) Changing shape="polygon" to shape="poly"

There's nothing illogical in fixing the markup to match the syntax you
are trying to comply with.

> If I change shape="circle" to shape="circ" it will give me validation error.

Why would you do that? The value "circ" is flagged as non-conforming in
HTML5 drafts.

> I assume long and shorthand versions should all work.

I suppose you mean that the validator should check against some idea of
logical definition for values of the attribute shape. But then it would
be rather useless, as it is meant to check against specific definitions
of the HTML language - in this case HTML5, which is based (in this
issue) on what actually works most widely in browsers.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/