Re: It validates az HTML5 with no </head> and no </body>.

Ville Skyttä, Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:54:58 +0200:
> On 12/12/2011 05:31 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> Like I already said: the validator reports no errors when it validates
>> via the URL, but does report errors when you paste in the code
>> directly. I have not filed any bug on this, but the validator is
>> clearly in error.
>
> There was at least one issue where non-UTF-8 inline charset indications
> on HTML5 direct input documents resulted in "Internal encoding
> declaration ... disagrees with the actual encoding of the document
> (utf-8)" error, this is now fixed in http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/

> If this was not the problem you were talking about, please file a bug
> with exact details

It turns out there was no error. However Jukka's analysis was wrong:
The reason for the 'valid' stamp for the page in question
(http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/test/alt.html), isn't overcomplicated
validation rules. It simply due to HTML5's gotcha rule - the generator
exception. The page has this, slighly LOL, code: <META NAME=GENERATOR
CONTENT="Hand">. This causes the validator to not validate the IMG
elements. Because it has been decided that so called HTML generators -
that is: WYSIWYG tools etc that emits a <meta name=generator
content=foo> - are incapable of generating @alt text correctly.

Of course, at the very least, the validator should inform the user that
the page did not get properly checked.

Leif H Silli