Re: "No Referer header found!" ?!?

On Monday 13 September 2010 09:54:03 Etienne Miret wrote:
> Hello Jason,
>
> As a security measure, browsers usually do not send a referer header
> from a from a secure connection, unless the new page is on the same domain.
>
> Eg:
>  * https://example.com/page1 -> https://example.com/page2 : referer
> header sent
>  * https://example.com/page1 -> http://validator.w3.org/check/referer :
> referer header NOT sent
>  * https://example.com/page1 -> https://otherexample.com : referer
> header NOT sent (even though the now connection is secure)
>
> I sugest you change the URI of the icon from
> http://validator.w3.org/check/referer to
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://example.com (replacing
> http://example.com with the actual URI of your document, of course.)
>
> Regards,

Aha! Thanks Etienne - Problem Solved :
I replaced the link http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer or 'check/referer' with
/cgi-bin/validator.cgi, where validator.cgi is :

<code>
#!/usr/bin/perl
print <<"EOC"
Location: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=$ENV{HTTP_REFERER}

EOC
;
</code>

This solution is in use at: https://text2car.com/tref2.html

Anyone else who finds this problem is welcome to use this solution.

I do think that it is a bug that the error text suggests that validator.w3.org
is available through HTTPS, when it isn't.

Regards,
Jason Vas Dias <jason.vas.dias@gmail.com>