From: Ted Guild [mailto:ted@w3.org]
Sent: dinsdag 26 oktober 2010 22:14
To: Galesloot, Matthijs
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML Batch validations

Matthijis,

Interesting email, as it happens we are working on plans to build a
Validator appliance so one can run their own instance of our validation
services, Unicorn and being able to tie into publishing pipeline, run
recursive checks, archive reports over time so improvements can be
marked etc.  We're not ready just yet, perhaps in a couple weeks or so,
to post those plans publicly just yet.  When we do we will seek input on
functionality from the community and invitation to participate in a
number of ways.

Regarding your questions.  We have an excessive amount of Validation
processing which consumes quite a bit of resources, machines, bandwidth,
developer and sysad.  In order to keep this service available to the
broader community we have to impose some rate limits.  As such it would
certainly be better to not point this at our servers but run their own.
We found people are reluctant to run their own instances, hence part of
the motivation for the appliance idea.  If your software is pointing
towards our servers please ensure that it sends a unique user-agent HTTP
header and kindly let us know what it is.  We have had other software
projects utilizing our services directly, some have been problematic for
us based on what the derived application does or how it is implemented.
Thanks for being considerate and contacting us in advance of releasing
the software.

Regards,

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>