Re: Validator Problem

g.gabler@freenet.de wrote:

> I am the webmaster of http://www.mode-shop.org and we had some
> troubles when using the W3 validator.
>
> We recieved an error with this line of html code:

I see an empty line. The page http://www.mode-shop.org validates OK. So what
is the problem?

> The Validator did not like the closed tag.

Validators are just dull programs. They don't have emotions.

> Shouldn't it be allowd to
> close the meta-tag?

All tags must be closed in all versions of HTML. Methods of closing tags
vary, though, in theory. Moreover, you may have a problem with closing an
_element_.

According to my crystal ball (which is getting rather dim due to heavy use),
you tried to validate an XHTML document, or a document with XHTML features,
declared as (e.g.) HTML 4.01. Then you get error messages about e.g.
constructs like
- not because closing the tag or the element wouldn't be allowed but because
the slash character (/) has already closed it, by formal HTML 4.01 rules,
and the greater than sign (>) is then just character data, which isn't
allowed inside a head element.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/