Re: w3c validator with authtype = digest

Hello,

On 26-Jan-09, at 9:12 PM, Duen-wen Hsiao wrote:
> I have a question for you. One of our instructors is using w3c
> validator for her classes. However, we are using authtype = digest
> instead of basic for authentication for each individual student's
> webpages. And looks like the w3c validator does not work.

Yes, unfortunately, due to the way digest authentication works, there
is no way (or rather I should say, none known to us) we could have the
validator proxy the authentication for digest-auth protected
resources. See ramblings on the topic here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qa-dev/2007Feb/0000.html

One solution I could think of would be to install the validator on
your internal network and then set up your web server to not require
authentication for that particular host/IP.

Hope this helps,
olivier
--
olivier Thereaux - W3C Open Source Software : http://www.w3.org/Status