Re: Regression: validator confusing HTML and XML

Am 29.08.2008 um 10:07 schrieb Nick Kew:

> Someone just emailed me confused as to why Valet rejects
> his page that passes Validator.
>
> A quick look confirms my suspicion that he's illegally
> serving XHTML1.1 as text/html.  And it seems the W3
> validator no longer even complains of that before
> ignoring the response headers and parsing as XML.
> Since his page is valid XML, he gets no hint at all
> that anything is wrong!
>
> I don't know when this happened, since I only keep
> a half an eye on either validator or valet these
> days, but this looks like a serious regression.

As far as I understand, the W3C Markup Validator has changed its
behaviour from release version 0.8.3 on, with respect to the following
W3C document:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2008/ED-xhtmlmime-20080618 , especially the
chapters
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2008/ED-xhtmlmime-20080618/#text-html