Re: Validator has become case-sensitive to the MEAT tag param CHARSET [ surely META, no? :) ]

Rick Bogart wrote:

>> Having said that, I believe section 3.7 of RFC2616 states that
>> "parameter attribute names are case-insensitive". And, according
>> to that same section of that same RFC, that's exactly what
>> "charset" is, in that context: the name of a parameter attribute.
[...]
> if we are agreed that "charset", as the name of a parameter
> attribute, should be case-insensitive, are we not then also
> agreed that the validator should not treat "charset" differently
> from "CHARSET", as it now does?

Yes, compare <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2045#section-5.1> on
the syntax of the MIME Content-Type header field:

| The type, subtype, and parameter names are not case sensitive.  For
| example, TEXT, Text, and TeXt are all equivalent top-level media
| types.  Parameter values are normally case sensitive, but sometimes
| are interpreted in a case-insensitive fashion, depending on the
| intended use.
[...]

I'd be surprised if XHTML somehow managed to overrule HTTP and MIME
wrt http-equiv meta-elements.

 Frank