Re: validator catalogs

Hi Alex,

On Oct 20, 2007, at 00:05 , Validome-Staff wrote:
> 1. The W3C-SGML-Parser uses two catalog files: xml.soc and
> sgml.soc. Within xml.soc there are 21 points missing, all regarding
> SVG 1.1 Tiny and "SVG 1.1 Basic.

The issues with SVG 1.1 Tiny and Basic are actualy a bit more
complicated.
See this mail:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2007Oct/0005.html
I think the workaround we found last month is better, see:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator-cvs/2007Oct/0018.html

I note that you also added a number of modules and files for XHTML
print and basic, good idea.

> 2. We missed 6 DTDs, necessary to get the download package running.

Added, thanks.

> 3. Your LibXML-Implementation was not correct - you just use the
> catalog files of your SGML-Parser instead of taking care of the the
> "official" catalog specification (http://www.xmlsoft.org/
> catalog.html#Simple).
> Because of this, LibXML tries to get the external DTDs instead of
> the local ones.

Indeed, it was incorrect, but in the end we decided to not fix it,
because loading of the catalogue is only supported after a certain
version of XML::LibXML - hence we just didn't load anything and muted
the entities errors. It may still be a good idea to fix it, although
I'm not sure what version of XML::LibXML is supported by most systems.

Thank you,
--
olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/
W3C Open Source Software: http://www.w3.org/Status