Re: HTML Validation

On 5/1/07, Steve Riley <steven.riley@kepware.com> wrote:

> I was wondering how important validating your HTML code was and for what
> reasons?

My $.02:

If you write sloppy English, you shouldn't be surprised if it gets
misinterpreted. Similarly, if you write invalid HTML and some user
agent misinterprets it, the responsibility for that error starts with
you.

To put it another way, if you write valid HTML and a user agent
doesn't interpret it the way you want, then at least you've done all
that *you* can to make things right. On HTML-related Usenet groups,
people often insist on valid markup as a prerequisite for offering
assistance. This is described eloquently here:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you

>  I see that the majority of websites out there do
> not take the time to do the same.

The popularity of a technique is no guarantee of its quality. See your
nearest McDonalds for a real-world example! As Alan Flavell put it,
"the saying about 'billions of flies can't be wrong' comes
unappetisingly to mind."

Happy validating

--
Philip