Re: "character data is not allowed here" problem with Unicode Chinese

Yes, that looks right, thanks.

Minor wording suggestion, replace "remove the extra / character" with "remove
the / character preceeding the > character". The word 'extra' initially made me
think, "so where are the necessary / characters?". But it's minor, I think
either version would have been understandable to me.

Regards
Allan

On 7 Feb 2007 at 10:12, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2007, at 06:29 , Allan Dyer wrote:
> > It might be coincidence, but the byte count to the position where the
> > highlighted character is is the same as the character count to the
> > '>'. Perhaps
> > the highlighting routine doesn't know how to count Unicode characters?
>
> Yes, I think you're right. I just tested, and noticed the bug is
> present in the latest release (0.7.4) of the validator and on the
> validator.w3.org service, but it has been fixed in our development
> service.
>
> Compare:
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fqa-dev.w3.org%2Fwmvs%
> 2FHEAD%2Fdev%2Ftests%2Finvalid_meta_multibyte.html
>
> with
>
> http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fqa-dev.w3.org%
> 2Fwmvs%2FHEAD%2Fdev%2Ftests%2Finvalid_meta_multibyte.html
>
> Note also, in the latter, the updated error message explanation,
> mentioning the possible presence of xhtml-style syntax in html.
> Suggested improvements for the wording are welcome.
>
> --
> olivier

 Allan Dyer, CISSP, MHKCS, MIAP | adyer@yuikee.com.hk
 Chief Consultant                | http://www.yuikee.com.hk/
 Yui Kee Computing Ltd.         | +852 28708555