Re: Validator vc MS IE 7

Bob Roske wrote:

> RE: http://www.w9bsp-w9ua.org/
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w9bsp-w9ua.org%2F
> shows: This Page Is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!

Consider that as a bit pompous and misleading message. What it means is
that the documentwas processed by a validating SGML parser and found
valid, which means that it conforms to the syntactic restrictions
declared in the document itself (indirectly, via a reference to a
Document Type Definition).

> Microsoft IE 7.0.6000.16575 gives an 'Error on page' message with an
> icon in lower left corner, yellow triangle with a ! in it over a
> sheet of paper. (attached if it survived the mail servers).

That's IE's way of reporting a scripting error, in practice in
JavaScript code. I have no idea why my IE 7 does not report it (even
though I have set it to report scripting errors - this is a browser
option in IE), but apparently the reason that the onload attribute
contains a method (function) invocation with an undefined function.
Anyway, this has nothing to do with validation. All JavaScript code is
just boring data to a validator, not processed in any significant way,
still less executed.

> I'll find my error, just though you should know about his apparent
> discrepancy.

There's no discrepancy. A validator is not supposed to do anything with
JavaScript code. A validator is not supposed to report even all
syntactic errors in markup but only those that have been defined
formally in the DTD. More on this:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/