Re: XHTML Family Document Types and the validator

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 08:16:26AM -0500, Shane McCarron wrote:
> > Just a thought...  According to XHTML Modularization [1], all XHTML
> > Family Document Types *must* have a DOCTYPE with an FPI that matches a
> > certain pattern.  Given this requirement, would it be reasonable to
> > teach the validator that, at least by default, the parsing rules for
> > documents that have a DOCTYPE that matches that pattern be "XML"?
>
> There is nothing stopping non-XHTML Family Document Types matching
> that pattern.
I suppose... Nor is there anything stopping someone from putting out
their own DTD and labeling it HTML 4.01 Transitional... but since this
is the w3c validator, and this is a normative requirement in a w3c
recommendation, you would think we could make some allowances.