Re: Unknown Parse Mode! in form submission

Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de> wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
>> The problem is that the validator doesn't use the XML
>> declaration as its trigger to use XML mode.
>
> Is that a bug ?

Generally sniffing the prolog in the hope to find clues?  Sure.

> If a document says <?xml version=" (etc.)
> at the begin, maybe after one of the various signatures
> for UTF-8, BOCU-1, etc., then it's supposed to be XML, or
> isn't it ?

For SGML parsing, an 'XML declaration' is just an ordinary processing
instruction.

> P.S.:  Still waiting

Ah; all the best, honestly, and don't hold your breath.

>        for an answer why Jukka's "nobr"-DTD
>        is not supported.  If that's politically motivated
>        I'm ready with this forum and the W3C.

Don't be too fatalistic; the W3C validation service is just a proprietary
interface to a validating SGML system; it is unsurprising that its purpose
is to support W3C recommendations, not to validate SGML.  As to limits,
the note in

<http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#valid>

might give some clues.  Of course, defaults can change anytime without
notice.

Within those limits, you can still do whatever you want:

<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fbednarz.nl%2Ftmp%2Fnobr%2F&ss=1>

--
:Eric