Re: [VE][388] Error Message Feedback

Dear Jan Christian,

On May 14, 2006, at 0:22, Jan Christian Anker wrote:
> You write "Comments considered harmful."  Since W3 allows comments,
> I suppose you will move W3 to drop any specifications for comments,
> both in HTML and CSS?

Seeing your message, I suspect a quick clarification is necessary.

W3C has many, many actors: a (small) staff responsible for logistics
and technological expertise, hundreds of member organizations (and
thousands of people from these organizations), and, more broadly,
thousands of people forming the "web community" and bringing their
ideas and feedback. Think of W3C as a round table where the goal is to
try and reach consensus to build technologies. As such, *you* too,
since you are participating in one of its public forums, are part of
W3C.

Let us not, therefore, be too hasty in equating the statement from one
participant in a mailing-list to the stance of W3C at large: Jukka, in
the present case, is an active participant to this mailing-list, and
has a lot of insight, but his message does not represent the official
message of W3C. So, please read his  "Comments considered harmful" as
"some people, myself included, consider comments harmful", not "it has
been formally decided that comments were harmful and that their support
would be deprecated".

Hoping this will help you understand the mechanics of W3C,
regards,
olivier
--
olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/