Re: "Unknown Parse Mode!" when validating with DOCTYPE chosen to force STRICT mode in Mozilla

On Jul 14, 2006, at 01:45, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> But I want full standards mode with transitional syntax; is that
> really so unreasonable ?

If you want transitional because you want to use <font>, etc., I find
it unreasonable. If you want transitional because of things like <ol
start='3'>, I sympathize.

If you feel that using the strict doctype with transitional syntax is
dirty, you could use the HTML5 doctype instead, although I am
uncomfortable with recommending the deployment of features from draft
specs.

http://hsivonen.iki.fi/validator/ allows you to manually decouple the
schema from the layout mode switch.

Still, the difference of the Almost Standards Mode is more likely to
manifest itself in the page template than in the content you put in
the template (assuming that sliced images usually are used for
template layout rather than copy).

>>>     <!-- #PRAGMAT mode="Quirks" -->
>> (No doctype.)
> Can't be validated, hence useless (i.e., not HTML at all).

I've always found it intriguing how some people want to validate
stuff but deliberately have it render in the quirks mode.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi