Re: "Unknown Parse Mode!" when validating with DOCTYPE chosen to force STRICT mode in Mozilla

Hi Philip,

On Jul 13, 2006, at 00:04 , Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> my recent Dreamweaver templates have all used the following DOCTYPE :
>
> 	<!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> which is intended to force Mozilla into "Full Standards" mode,
> since we wish to avoid accidentally exploiting any of Mozilla's
> "Almost Standards" behaviours.

So, by using a system identifier, you're basically fooling the
browser into thinking you're not using a transitional doctype? Just
curious... As I'm not entirely familiar with that browser's different
"modes".

> Until recently this caused no problems, but on re-validating
> today I received the following diagnostic :
>
>> Unknown Parse Mode!
>> The MIME Media Type (text/html) for this document is used
> > to serve both SGML and XML based documents, and it is not
> > possible to disambiguate it based on the DOCTYPE Declaration
> > in your document. Parsing will continue in SGML mode.

if you got the message only recently, then most likely something
changed on your end. The validator was not changed or updated in the
past few months. Note that it's a warning, it shouldn't stop you from
getting the green banner.

> I do not recollect seeing this diagnostic earlier in the development
> cycle, and I do not believe it would be helpful for my webmasters
> to see this when validating their pages. Short of reverting to
> Mozilla's "Almost Standards" mode by using a PUBLIC declaration
> as opposed to a SYSTEM, is there any other way of explaining to
> the validator that we do, please, want SGML rather than XML-mode
> parsing ?

Not with a system identifier only and a text/html mime type, as far
as I can tell.

--
olivier