Re: Error Message Feedback: text/css not currently supported.

Terje Bless wrote:
>> It seems to me that it would be easy using the media type to direct files
>> to the correct validator. As it is this message is misleading because the
>> W3C validating service does support CSS.
>
> While there is, obviously, a W3C CSS validator, the W3C Markup Validation
> Service does not, for obvious reasons, support checking CSS.

I don't follow the "for obvious reasons". validator.w3.org could very
easily distinguish the media type and forward it to the correct parser.
I don't see why the user need to be aware of different validators when
it is so easy to automatically distinguish which one is needed.

> Opera ASA (howcome) has also indicated that they do not wish to add further
> complexities to their browser's code in this area.

Why make all clients upgrade whenever W3C adds a new validator, when it
only needs to be done once at the server?

> Suggestions for how to improve this situation would be most welcome, of course.

Do a switch on the media type is the obvious answer.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton