Re: an ERROR or INNOVATION

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Casey Benson wrote:

> <ol type="none" onMouseOver="this.style.color='red'" onMouseOut="this.style.color='#A2A2A2'">BREECHES
> <li onMouseOver="this.style.color='black'" onMouseOut="this.style.color='#CCCCCC'">Helsinki V Cotton</li>
> </ol>
> ===============================
> However it seems it is an illegal instruction

No, it is invalid markup.

As David explained, you cannot have text data directly inside an <ol>
element, since the element's content model allows <li> elements only.

Unfortunately there is no markup specifically for a list header, which is
what "BREECHES" is probably supposed to be. There are several options in
practice. You could take the list header out of the list, putting it right
before the list as a <div> element or some heading element. Then you might
need some styling to achieve the same layout as you have now.
Alternatively, you could put it inside a <li> element but use styling
to make it appear as unnumbered and the value="1" attribute to make the
first real list item have the number 1:

<ol>
<li class="lh" onMouseOver="this.style.color='red'"
onMouseOut="this.style.color='#A2A2A2'">Breeches</li>
<li value="1" onMouseOver="this.style.color='black'"
onMouseOut="this.style.color='#A2A2A2'">Helsinki
V Cotton</li>
</ol>

Note: I removed the type="none" attribute, which is incorrect though valid
(its declared type is CDATA, so anything goes as far as validation is
considered, but HTML specifications allow a small set of different values
only).

> What I like to see added is a bit of code that will increase/decrease the font by a percentage of the screen size.

This has nothing to do with validation. Besides, the idea is wrong. Font
size should depend on what is most readable to the user, not on the screen
size, which varies between 0 and infinity.