Re: Error Message Feedback

You are using XHTML - http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.8
                    - http://hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

> 2. The code I have written has & in all links and this is what displays
> in view page source.  However, the validator somehow picks up an additional
> hidden pass through with a PHP session id.  As this is not visible under

It is if you have cookies disabled.

> and the code writer has no control over how php places its
> session variables in links,

The code writer does have such control, the validator reminds PHP
authors to look at http://www.w3.org/QA/2005/04/php-session which
explains how that control is implemented.

> is it right for a document to fail validation
> on these grounds?

Yes. The document being served doesn't conform to the DTD. The
validator is testing the document is recieves, not the document the
author wrote (and if they are not the same thing then it can't test
the document the author wrote!).

> Would advisories not be better than fails for this type of problem?

No, they are errors, not things which are allowed by which should be
avoided.