Re: Validatelet - a Mac OS X Validator Application

Hi Chuck,

On Apr 5, 2006, at 21:45, Chuck Houpt wrote:
> http://habilis.net/validatelet/
>
> Validatelet is a fairly straight port of the Validator. Basically its
> the Validator (and supporting utilities and modules) wrapped inside a
> thin Application shell which simulates CGI calls.

This is a very cool idea, Chuck, and I think it would be very useful
for users to be able to use the validator as a packaged app, rather
than in its current form, which is, admittedly, more adapted to use by
reasonably experienced system admins.

After a bit of use of your app, here are a few thoughts and
suggestions, and some nitpicking. Ignore or apply at will ;)

* the main interface as "validate by URL" is a bit confusing. At least,
it would be nice to explain that local files can be validated by using
the file:// scheme. I wonder, though, if it wouldn't be possible to
keep the "file upload" and "direct input" interfaces as is. The former
would be more practical than having to input file:/// URIs, and more
generally speaking, I suppose that users on the online validator would
feel more at ease if the interface was kept more familiar.

* if you'd like, you could modify the style of the "home page" by
editing the css and index file. The current design of the validator
(which itself could be greatly improved, of course) is perhaps ok for a
web-based app, but for a desktop app, its look and feel is a bit odd -
a more "aqua" like CSS would be cool. Also, in the "front page", the
news bits, for instance, could be left out.

* (just my personal taste) I'm not fond of the validatelet app icon.
(personal opinion again) The "valid html" icons aren't quite lovely
either, so maybe they're not the best basis for the app's icon anyway.
In any case, and especially for a mac app, a cool icon *will* get more
people on board. Yes, mac users are shallow like that :)...

* last but not least, are you planning on making your app "open
source". No worry if you don't, but at least I am curious how you made
it :)

Cheers,
olivier
--