Re: Error in validator?

Frank Ellermann wrote:

> Benjamin Niemann wrote:
>
>> There should be a warning (this issue has been raised before
>> on the list), if the SYSTEM identifier from your doctype
>> declaration does not match the 'expected' values based on the
>> PUBLIC identifer.
>
> Oops, what's an "expected value" for this simple procedure ?

I'd say, e.g. for an HTML or XHTML FPI the respective URI as defined in the
specs. There may be cases of document types where there is no 'official'
URI for the FPI (HTML2.0 ??) - not sure how these should be handled...

>> In order to get 'correct' validation by the validator, serve
>> it as application/xhtml+xml and use your own FPI, to force
>> the XML parse mode
>
> Somehow it makes me nervous if everybody and his dog make up
> FPIs, isn't that pointless if it's nowhere else "well known" ?
> Why no <!DOCTYPE stuff SYSTEM "http://example.org/stuff.dtd"> ?
>
> AFAIK that works.  There are also some cute nesting rules, if
> stuff.dtd invokes more stuff with a relative URL, then the URL
> of stuff.dtd is the base.  I can't say if that's just as it
> should be, or only a feature of this validator, but it's nice.

You're right, it is indeed better to omit the PUBLIC part in such a case.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de