Re: Error in validator?

Benjamin Niemann wrote:

> There should be a warning (this issue has been raised before
> on the list), if the SYSTEM identifier from your doctype
> declaration does not match the 'expected' values based on the
> PUBLIC identifer.

Oops, what's an "expected value" for this simple procedure ?

For "historical reasons" I try to use FPIs with a system "id."
(URL) pointing to http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/ etc. on
all my pages.

That "historical reason" is of course that I didn't get the
simple idea:  well known FPI => use the known DTD, ignore the
system id.

Actually tricky, because not everything in this directory with
an FPI is also "well known" from the validator's POV, e.g. the
entities -//W3C//ENTITIES Publishing for MathML 2.0//EN need
http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/REC-MathML2-20031021/iso8879/isopub.ent

And I had some fun when they reorganized their sgml-lib... ;-)

> In order to get 'correct' validation by the validator, serve
> it as application/xhtml+xml and use your own FPI, to force
> the XML parse mode

Somehow it makes me nervous if everybody and his dog make up
FPIs, isn't that pointless if it's nowhere else "well known" ?
Why no <!DOCTYPE stuff SYSTEM "http://example.org/stuff.dtd"> ?

AFAIK that works.  There are also some cute nesting rules, if
stuff.dtd invokes more stuff with a relative URL, then the URL
of stuff.dtd is the base.  I can't say if that's just as it
should be, or only a feature of this validator, but it's nice.

                             Bye, Frank