Re: Doctype to use? http://www.swiss-maeder.ch/indextst.html

"Thomas Mäder" wrote:

> Result: Failed validation, 25 errors

Start there as long as you want to use your tool.
When you're tired of manually fixing its output
you'll know enough to use a decent text editor.

If you're interested in design issues you could
start some experiments with CSS, and in some time
you might even wish to use a "strict" DTD.

For new pages I love XHTML 1.0 transitional with
the absolute minimum of "transitional" crap I can
get away with _without_ using CSS, but that's a
matter of taste.  For "nice" pages you need CSS,
and then the best strategy is strict, mixing CSS
and legacy markup can have strange side effects:

Better don't try this, unless you know exactly
what you're doing.

HTML 4.01 vs. XHTML 1.0 is also a matter of taste,
I prefer the latter because it's simple (as long
as you stay away from inline scripts and styles.)

Whatever you do, don't use frames.  Bye, Frank