RE: checklink:

Hi Lachlan

Thanks for replying.
Perhaps a few words of explanation might make my earlier email more
clear:

I accept the anchor tag should be inside the <body> ... </body> - it's
just that I've been trying several places to try to get the page to
actually return to the very top when a link from lower down the page is
selected.

This was the original problem:
I want to have a set of 'return to top' links within the body of the web
page.
I really want it to goto the top of page - as if the page had just
loaded.
But with the anchor <a name="top"></a> even  _immediately_  after the
page when the jump is made to that point.

Whereas if the <a name="top"></a> is missing (on purpose) then the
'return to top' jump really does that...

I've updated the test pages to better demonstrate this.
Open each page and then scoll down to one of the 'return to top' links.
On the 'without_top' file the page jumps to the same place as when first
loaded but in the 'with_top' file the same action falls short...
If I could solve that then I'd be a happy chap.

(On my actual website design the missing few pixels makes more of a
difference than it does on the two test pages...)

So... Leaving the anchor OUT means I get the functionality that I need
(& expect) but it causes many errors in the link-checker.

What I was trying to describe with the 'broken fragments' part was that
there are many portions of the source html where I've chosen to layout
the code for readability e.g. (layout 1):

    <area shape="poly" coords="218,55,213,51,204,54,205,61,212,60"
    href="#place4" alt="Place 4" title="Place 4">

Rather than (layout 2):

<area shape="poly" coords="218,55,213,51,204,54,205,61,212,60"
href="#place4" alt="Place 4" title="Place 4">

I've never read anything which says this is bad practice.

When the link checker notices that the <a name="top"></a> is missing
then it ALSO complains about the 'layout 1' style of source code - in
fact EVERY place in the source file where an html element has been
written across several lines for readability.

My point is (and I accept this may not be a bug - only a feature:) that
to for th LinkChecker to complain about the layout of the code in many
places is confusing given that all that is really 'wrong' is a missing
<a name="top"></a> element.

Hope this makes sense
Andy