Re: checklink:

Andy Walker wrote:
> Excessive complaints from LINK CHECKER when a location tag is missing
> e.g.  <a name="top"></a>

It's called an <a> element or an anchor, not a "location tag".

> Link checker complains of many 'broken file fragments' (in my original
> html file this was a large number.)
> It looks like any (unrelated) line of HTML which is split across several
> lines causes an error - until the location tag is inserted.

I have no idea what you're trying to say there.  What do you mean by an
unrelated line split across several lines?

> This is similar to at least one of the already reported bugs

It doesn't look like a bug of any sort to me.

> FILE: http://www.topgps.co.uk/test/test_lnkchk_without_top.htm

You cannot put a elements as a direct children of the html element,
before the head and body.  They need to go within the body element or,
if you were using a Strict DOCTYPE, within a block level parent.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.topgps.co.uk/test/test_lnkchk_with_top.htm

> FILE: http://www.topgps.co.uk/test/test_lnkchk_without_top.htm
> Broken fragments and their line numbers: They need to be fixed!
>                 top: 61, 92

Those lines refer to the links pointing to #top, but since there is no
anchor with a name="top" attribute or another element with an id="top",
so those are indeed broken links.