Re: Border and target?

Graham wrote:
> I keep getting the same 3 errors but have no idea what I should use to
> make validation correct.
>
> This page is *not* Valid HTML 4.01
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/> Frameset!

Do you really want to make use of framesets, considering their
disadvantages [1|2]?

> /Line 15, column 29/: there is no attribute "BORDER"
> |<frameset rows="97,*" border=*"*0" frameborder="0">|

Unfortuanately, as the error states, border is not a valid attribute
according to the Frameset DTD.  You have several options:
1. Remove the offending attribute(s) and cope with some browsers
    rendering a visible border, although frameborder on each frame
    element should serve the same purpose.
2. Accept the validation error
3. Custom DTD [3].
4. Don't use frames.

> /Line 15, column 45/: there is no attribute "FRAMEBORDER"
> |<frameset rows="97,*" border="0" frameborder=*"*0">|

Frameborder is allowed on the <frame> element [4], not <frameset> [5].

> /Line 16, column 75/: there is no attribute "TARGET"
> |..."no" noresize src="Docs/head.html" target=*"*contents">|

The target attribute may be used on A, AREA, BASE, FORM and LINK
elements.  It cannot be used on a frame element to specify the default
target for the frame contents.  However, you may use the base element
with the target attribute in head.html to achive the desired result, if
you have used the Transitional DTD in that document.

[1] http://htmlhelp.com/design/frames/
[2] http://htmlhelp.com/design/frames/whatswrong.html
[3] http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/own-dtd.html
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html#edef-FRAME