RE: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, TU Internetbeauftragter wrote:

> Well, all I can say is that this little change ("onfocus" instead of
> "onFocus") was all it took to make our code pass the W3C validator.

The validator reported a markup error, and that's its job. You checked and
corrected the syntax. Fine.

In many cases, it would be possible to suggest very specific fixes,
like detecting common misspellings. But in a general markup validator,
that would make the system more complex and would confuse some people.
After all, there is absolutely no reason why you could not define an
XML document type that has an attribute named onFocus.

> I just found the message 'there is no attribute "onFocus"' misleading -- as
> compared to the much more helpful
> Error Message [VE][108] which states: "Remember XHTML is all lower-case."

That would be incorrect. XHTML is not all lower case. (Think about
the document type declaration.) Moreover, such a statement should at most
be an _explanation_ to
http://validator.w3.org/docs/errors.html#attr-undef
(which is probably what 108 refers to - I really think the numbers should
be included there), not the error message itself. I would not object to
an explanation like
"Remember that in XHTML, all attribute names must be in lower case."
(though it might confuse some people who aren't actually trying to
validate an XHTML document).