Re: Problems setting up the W3C validator

Hello Martin,

On Jun 15, 2005, at 5:39, Martin Ereth wrote:
> So I downloaded the latest tarballs directly from the W3C homepage. I
> got a file called "validator.tar.gz" and a file called
> "sgml-libs.tar.gz". I installed the packages like described in the
> short Installation Documentation.

The most relevant documentation for your setup is at :
http://validator.w3.org/docs/install.html
Not sure if that is what you call the "short" installation
documentation.

> When I pointed my browser (firefox 1.0.4) to the virtual host of
> apache, I got a simple site of the validator, I don't think that the
> header.html and the footer.html are included. Can anyone send me a
> browser screenshot of his working installation

It should look exactly like what's at http://validator.w3.org/

The documentation has instructions for setting up your apache server to
handle the documents and scripts for the validator, but basically you
need:

[[
Alias /w3c-validator/ "/my/path/to/validator/htdocs/"
ScriptAlias /w3c-validator/check
"/my/path/to/validator/httpd/cgi-bin/check"

<Directory /my/path/to/validator/htdocs>
   Options               ExecCGI IncludesNOEXEC Indexes MultiViews
   AllowOverride         None
   AddHandler            server-parsed .html
   AddCharset            utf-8         .html
</Directory>
]]

(replace w3c-validator with the relative URI path you wish to use, and
/my/path/to/validator with where you installed the files)

Hope this helps.
--
olivier