Re: IDN support in the validator

At 18:06 05/01/13, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
 >I don't pretend to understand this issue at all, but
 >I am intrigued by the behaviour of Mozilla, which
 >on being asked to open an http connection to
 >
 >	www.r$BgL(Bsm$B‹S(Bg$BiT(B.josefsson.org

[sorry this is garbled by my Japanese mailer]

 >reports (in its status bar)
 >
 >	Resolving host www.xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o.josefsson.org
 >
 >Could anyone explain what /that/ one's all about ?

www.xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o.josefsson.org is the form that is
used internally in the Domain Name System to resolve the
Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) above. Mozilla displays
that either because nobody has had the time to fix it, or
because the implementers wanted that to show up as long as
IDNs were not yet very well known. But the fact that you
asked about shows that it's probably a bug rather than
a feature. Opera shows the original IDN everywhere; it
even converts everything back to the original domain
name when you use the internal form, which may also
be confusing in some cases.

Regards,     Martin.